The innkeepers told my parents it was based on traditional Amish apple custard pie recipe.
9" unbaked deep dish pie shell
3 c. sliced apples
1 c. sugar
1 c. flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 c. half and half or milk
1 tsp. almond extract
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. butter, cut into pieces
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Arrange half of apples in bottom of pie shell.
- Mix sugar and flour together and sprinkle half of mixture over apples. Add remaining apples. Cover with remaining flour/sugar mixture.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Mix milk, almond and vanilla extracts, salt and egg. Pour mixture over top of pie.
- Dot with butter.
Bake for 50-55 minutes or until custard sets. Can be served warmed, room temp or chilled. A la mode.